Breaking Ground

LIFE

Everyday we learn something about our new home. It prefers traditional furniture but likes the sound of rap.
On Saturday morning when A. walked to the nearby shops, about five houses down he found a lawn-sale. He and *Harry went and picked out a closet, a tv cabinet and a few other things. I went by myself a little later and selected some garden tools, an old fashioned rocking horse, a white wooden table and a collapsible work-bench.
Yesterday our new goods were delivered by the previous owners and it took a couple of trips. I found myself down the street again and was invited to look through what was left. Instead I found myself listening to the stories of two sisters who had grown up happily in that house. I was transported back to the 50's when the house we are now living in was bush-land with children from the neighbourhood building forts and climbing trees until dinner-time on weekends and during school holidays.
It was a magical childhood for both of them, until their home was marked by tragedy and loss.
I felt awful hearing this story, how these material items had brought me and the boys joy but stung like an alcoholic swab on an open wound for them.
I lifted and shifted a few boxes and assured them these things would be well-loved and honored.

LOVE

If my life was adapted to screen it would be a slap-stick comedy, living with two guys is pretty funny. I hear "Hey, Sarah...where's the...?" at least five times a day right now.
The three of us are getting along well, I'm enjoying A.'s and my domesticated bliss and being a big sister to *Harry. Somehow all of our decorating styles are blending rather than clashing.
Our home is brimming with life and warmth with only a couple of hiccups here and there. The boys locked me out of the house accidentally on Saturday when I didn't answer their phone calls to confirm I was home and this morning I was doing laundry downstairs and interrupted *Harry's morning shower with a blast of cold water.

& THE EVERYDAY

This morning I spent an hour in the garden, using a three-pronged rake called a cultivator. I tilled the soil at the base of a tree in a large circle, hacking away at the wide-spread growth of prickles where I am going to plant a cluster of flowers for my fairy garden. Right now it looks like I have gouged the grass into a pile of dirt but soon it will come to life again as something beautiful. I have decided to dedicate another blog entirely to this project.
This morning before A. and *Harry set off to work I said to A. "I want to get a wheel-barrow."
A. looks up at me and replies. "I have one."
"Really?!" I ask, all excited, although I have never seen said wheel-barrow.
"I have a wheel-barrow in my Monopoly set. I've got an iron and a cat too!"
If A. and *Harry had been sitting side-by-side, they would have high-fived.
My Everyday is not going to be dull with these two clowns around to make me laugh!

- Sarah x



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cafe Metz, Canungra

The Dreamer

New Beginnings