Just A Quick Hello

LIFE

Four days down on my low-carb and no sweets regime. It's not going so bad.
As a matter of fact - I am going really well - I have been filling up on home-cooked meals and have more energy than I've had in months.
There is something else that has kept me on track this week and that is a good read.
On my morning bus route while I waited in sunny and rainy elements, I read a book.
 Its either fiction or non-fiction but these past two weeks I have been leaning towards something more sustaining rather than just an escape.
Some books you pick up when you are in the season that you need them.
 Last week it was Stasi Eldredge's "Becoming Myself" and this week it is Larry Hutton's
 "Internal Affairs"

 Last year at a church conference Doctor Larry was speaking - and I thought he was so awesome that I bought his book and it has sat on my book-shelf ever since, waiting patiently for its turn.
This is one particular paragraph that really captured my attention.

We take thoughts by speaking them. 
Someone may ask, "What does it mean to take a thought?" It means that we have allowed the thought to remain in our mind - to the point where it affects the way we act.

When we allow thoughts of anger, worry, etc. to remain in our mind, we end up taking those thoughts by speaking them. Then our words and actions become negative, pessimistic and even hurtful ones. Taking those kinds of thoughts will cause us to complain, find fault, accuse others. 

But even worse than that, taking them will hinder God from being able to help us. 
In other words, if we are thinking and speaking the wrong things then we are not in faith, we are not pleasing to God, and we are not in a position to receive any help from Him. That is the place where uncontrolled emotions run rampant. Stress, anger, depression, hurt feelings, hopelessness, seemingly unbearable pressure, and many other emotions begin to take their toll on our mental health. 

This results in other areas of our lives being affected as well. Left unchecked, these emotions and feelings can be detrimental to our physical well-being, harmful to our relationships with others, and very destructive to our finances. - Dr Larry Hutton, 'Internal Affairs' - page 90.

This book has really helped me overcome stress and worry. I wish I had read it a year ago.
And if you like the paragraph you just read - go out and buy the book! It's one of those life-changers!
Here's a jewel of wisdom from me as well: People and situations will show up as you expect them to be.

LOVE

There was a time when A. and I couldn't be away from each other for very long. It was a season when we needed to depend on and uplift each other. And now that both of us are healthy and strong, we can enjoy a bit of healthy independence now and then. This weekend A. went stag to Sydney to watch the AFL final. Sydney Swans VS Melbourne Storm and I am kicking my heels up in Brisbane and hanging out with friends. I miss having A. around but I'm enjoying watching Gilmore Girls without handing over the remote!
While we are on the subject of love. Let's talk weddings.
Here's the scoop, people. The wedding venue A. showed me on Tuesday? I surprised myself by falling in love with it. I always imagined a small ceremony on the beach or a country wedding.
But no, the more I was shown the more it felt right.

& THE EVERYDAY

This morning began with a coffee. White with three sugars. And that's all I had until twelve'0clock.
There was a really good reason for my fast and that reason was the 38th Tuvalu Independence Day.
I was invited by my friend Loele and hard as it is to believe, I was in Fiji two years ago and now I am craving adventures.
The Queensland Tuvalu Community gathered at Creastmead Police-Citizens Youth Club, people sat in large groups on brightly woven mats dressed in flower crowns, sulus and flower print dresses.
The first thing that happend was I sat in front of a leaking esky - I was wearing a white cotton skirt.

As discreetly as possible, I slipped out the side door and stood in the sun for a bit - and during a trip to the ladies I found an electric hand-dryer - I was never so happy to see a hand-dryer in my whole life!

The preliminaries began with people making speeches. I couldn't understand what is being said but I could see expressions. Mostly smiles and laughter but occasionally, a wave of solemness swept across the room. And when the wave had passed. The smiles and laughter returned, another person spoke and children dart from mat to mat to sit next to each other.
This community is made up of family, nine islands - one flag. It was such a beautiful day, full of dancing, singing and food. Oh gosh! The food! I had one plate of with one leg of chicken, one slice of beef and a egg salad. And four cups of banana smoothie which is diced banana and condensed milk.
Things that make you go Mmmm...

And that's all from me tonight.
Sweet dreams.

- Sarah x



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dreamer

New Beginnings

Inspiration and Hope