Cafe Metz, Canungra

My Mum hails from a farming district called Kin-Kin and being a country girl who came to live in the big ol' city, has a yen for scenic drives to a place where she can see blue sky the color of forget-me-not's and you can inhale the fresh air mingled with flowers (and every so often, manure).

Every now and then, A. and I receive a spontaneous invitation for a country drive. 
Our favorite place is Mount Tamborine, but last Monday we headed to Canungra on the Gold Coast, approximately forty minutes drive from Brisbane.

I ooh'd and ahh'd as we drove past horses grazing in lushly green paddocks beneath rolling cloudy skies. 
Canungra is a small country town which is quiet during the week and abuzz during the weekends. 
The moment I climbed out of Dad's Triton I took a deep breath of the cool, fresh air and turned to A. 
"A. Tell me why we don't live here." 
With a dead-pan expression, he replies. "Because we don't have a car." 
Killjoy! 

We walked down the street past Saint Luke's Anglican Church and into the park where people have gathered to enjoy the sunshine after the heavy deluge which drenched Queensland the week before.
People sat on picnic rugs and lawn chairs complete with the typical Aussie barbeque and children scampered with ease on the playground. It is a perfect day - the kind when you feel peaceful and optimistic even though you don't know what the future holds. 

Mum, Dad, A. and I went to find my grandparents who were waiting for us patiently on a park bench and after we each said hello with either hand-shakes or hugs, we closed the small distance between us and the ultimate destination - Cafe Metz. 

Cafe Metz is a diner-style eatery and apart from the Canungra Hotel, is the hottest ticket around for a hearty meal at a good price. 
Southern hospitality at its finest, within seven minutes of ordering our food it was brought out to us. 
But that is just the cream on top! 
Cafe Metz has an electic taste in decor, ranging from motorcycle posters to amusing quotes. 
It's my kind of place. I couldn't stop checking out the cosy window seat because it appealed to my inner-writer. Please note, Cafe Metz has WIFI!

I had a brief chat with Di, the owner and she informed me that Cafe Metz has been opened for eight years...that is practically one hundred years in hospitality biz! 
If you are heading to the Gold Coast for some R&R, don't drive away without a coffee from Cafe Metz! 

- Sarah x





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dreamer

New Beginnings

Beautiful Chaos