The Parable of the Pig

Six years ago I asked a work mate of mine. "How's it going?" and he replied truthfully.
"It's either laugh or cry."
Last night I finally found out what he was talking about.
My boyfriend A. is what I like to call a passionate cook - once he's in the zone his one quest is to get dinner done - after dinner I went back to the kitchen and started to cry and laugh at the same time!
Dirty dishes were piled high in the sink, traces of food were scattered over the bench-tops, floor and stove! I don't know why I laughed but I figured it was better than crying. Then I asked A. to kindly come and rinse the dishes!

 Since MKR started we like to rate each other's dishes, the closest I have gotten to a ten is an eight. Sometimes my dinners rock his socks and others are complete flops and we have to substitute dinner with dessert. Until last year my master dishes were chicken and vegetable stir-fry, steak and vegetables and spaghetti bolonaise - that changed very quickly!
I cook during the week from Monday through to Wednesday and A. takes care of dinner from Thursday to Sunday. Last night A. cooked vegetables and pork and although it was cooked to perfection that it fell off the fork it just didn't feel right which was strange because I love bacon rashers on my double cheese burger!
Lots of Christians I know are absolutely repulsed by the idea of eating pork because they are seen as "unclean" animals because they roll about in muck and have a tendency to eat anything, there is also a parable in the Bible about Jesus driving demons out of two men and the demons begged Jesus asking him to drive the demons into the pigs and they ran down the steep bank and drowned in the water. 
Matthew 8:28-34.

I'm going to be honest with you. When I go to Mcdonalds the first thing I ask for is a cheese burger with added bacon, no pickles and I eat it all up - so I did not understand why I didn't enjoy the roast pork and I didn't fancy the smell either. Maybe it was because I was envisioning pigs being slaughtered. That would kill anybody's appetite.

Tonight I was reflecting on all of this and a Bible passage came to mind but I did not know where to find it, all I knew was that it was in the New Testament. I grabbed my Bible and flipped through it until I found what I was looking for, I didn't have to look very far because it is Matthew 14:10.
"And He called people to him and said to them. "Hear and understand: it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person. Then the disciples came and said to him. "Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?" He answered. "Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be rooted up. Let them alone; for they are blind guides. And if the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit." But Peter said to him. "Explain this parable to us." And Jesus said. "Are you also still without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes through the stomach and is expelled? But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart and this defiles a person. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defiles a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone."
Well, it is rather unsanitary and gross but I got the idea - what I eat isn't an issue with Jesus, it's what I'm thinking! No wonder those Pharisees were offended! But when you look at it this way - God would rather our thoughts be clean because once words are said, they don't go back in your mouth and when our ugly thoughts and words become actions and are out in the world it can be harder to atone for them.

Well my dears, Downton Abbey is on television and I must bid you adieu until next time.
I love English accents. Don't you?
I could listen to them all day!

- Sarah x






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cafe Metz, Canungra

The Dreamer

New Beginnings