About Love

If there was a television show called The Boyfriend Lottery, I know that A. would win hands-down and if there was a television show called My Amazing Girlfriend, I know he'd enter my name.
But of course, we are completely bias when it comes to each other.
In four days time we will be celebrating our second year anniversary as boyfriend and girlfriend.
I love anniversaries because they mark another year of life, when you first got together, engagements, weddings - but there are anniversaries which remind us of struggle, deaths and other things we don't particularly want to remember and this year was a combination of both but we are at the second check-point and that is the most important thing.

Both A. and I have grown so much during the year as a couple, mentally and emotionally - when you live together you learn to read facial and body language to see if you can dig each other's moods and you learn how to be there for the good moods as well as the bad ones.
When is A. is in a grumpy mood I know that the best way I can be supportive is by letting him watch television and being receptive when he is ready to speak.
 A. knows that the best way to support me is by dropping whatever he is doing when he sees me upset and let's me talk about whatever is on my mind, whether he wants to hear it or not.
 When we disagree on something (which isn't often) we each talk about how we feel and see the situation, make a decision that makes both of us happy and then we both say we are sorry because we don't like hurting each other.

When I first started going out with A., I was afraid that we would have a lot of arguments and neither of us would get any sleep because I had seen a lot of friendships and relationships go down the drain and it is mostly because of the little, repetitive things that keep escalating which boil down to people not wanting to change or running out of patience.
Fortunately for me, A. and I don't disagree on much; but there are still a few mounds of dirt that we haven't staked a flag of settlement into yet which give both of us moments of vexation, but at the same time we know that we wouldn't want to be frustrated with anyone else but each other.

There is one thing that stood out to me today; love is like a clock, where the little hand goes the big hand isn't too far behind, but at 12:00am, 12:00pm, 6:00am and 6:00pm they are in the same place for one minute and for the rest of the time the clock ticks in perfect unison.

One of my favourite pieces of Bible Scripture is 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered. It keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love is not is a Disney movie, because there are decisions to make after the "Happily Ever After" that can be difficult and confusing; but love is never meant to be miserable if you are in love with somebody who gives you the absolute best of everything that is theirs and whatever happens, won't walk away.

This is where I leave you today, thankyou for tuning in again.

- Sarah



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cafe Metz, Canungra

The Dreamer

New Beginnings