Soul Explorer: The Path I Chose





   



After a lovely morning outing with my friend Aileen to see Mama Mia: Here We Go Again, I felt this need to get back out into nature. I went in search of something.
Something that connected me to my spirit.
I was thinking of going a little further out but my gut was telling me to stay a little closer to home, to take a different route than my usual one. It was a lovely surprise when I arrived at my destination to find what I was looking for. Tucked away on the corner of a quiet suburb was a clearing with an empty, solitary bench with a small pocket of trees nestled behind it.

Walking through those trees made me think of Mary, the mother of Jesus and how it may have been somewhere like this that an Archangel appeared to her and told her that her life would soon change in the most unexpected, miraculous way. Though Mary had her doubts about her suitability for this God-given task due to her youth and status of a recently engaged woman, she agreed to what would come. The good and the bad. The joy of a child growing within her, the scorn of those in her village who gossiped and slandered her reputation. The love she had for that child as he grew from a boy to a man, the pain she carried in her heart for her son as he suffered a long, cruel torture and death that was dragged out for hours. Every challenge and downfall that Mary suffered in being the Mother of Christ, she took with quiet dignity and moved forward. Although she possessed a gentle and humble spirit, Mary was strong in heart and mind. It is no wonder that she is so loved throughout the world, because people look at her as a mother.

I contemplate that a little bit as I sit on this bench in the sunshine, in the middle of a clearing with houses on one side and rain-forest on the other, beneath a cloudless azure sky with the sweet sounds of bird song in the trees above me. I am wondering what my future will hold - will I always feel like I am in one place?
  What's the game-plan, God? I've been waiting for years.
That is what draws me here today, for a revelation or a sign that I am on the right path.
I sat there for awhile, the early afternoon sun gets warmer.
Then something catches my eye. From where I am sitting I can see a sparrow dart here and there, circling the grass as though it is finding some place to land, it considers but isn't completely satisfied and becomes airborne again.

The sparrow does this a few times, like a graceful dance and I feel empathy for it; but at the same time I know this is its way. It will consider, reconsider and circle all the while looking beautiful and chirping sweetly.
A friend of mine called Ally (scroll waaaaay back to find the Fiji Diaries!) once told me that sparrows migrate but they always come home and that is why people get sparrow tattoos in honour of loved ones who are far away.
Because family always find a way back to each other, no matter the time or distance, life or death.
As I watched this sparrow fly into the trees behind me, I saw that it had gone home. 
A Bible scripture came to mind, just the first sentence. "Consider the birds of the air..."
I knew then without a doubt, that in his own way - God had given me a revelation in the form of that sparrow.

I rose from the bench and headed down the dusty gravel track, making a bee-line for the suburban wilderness I have come to love so much. I wasn't completely done soul-searching for the day, I needed to inhale the smell of rain and be surrounded by trees. In doing that, I found some answers within myself and captured it on video that I decided to share with you. 
I hope you enjoy it.

- Sarah xx




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cafe Metz, Canungra

The Dreamer

Inspiration and Hope