Curse-Breaker

Words are so powerful.
They can be used as salvation or weapons, for healing or for harm, for light and darkness.
They can also be used as curses.
In Disney movies characters are cursed by being turned into frogs, ogres and Snow White died from a poisonous apple and was brought back to life with true love's kiss.
The Prince in Sleeping Beauty released Aurora from a spell by killing Maleficent with a sword through her heart but he still had to kiss Aurora to wake her up from an eternal sleep.

But for us humans, curses are a little harder to break, particularly in regards to slander, labels, stereotyping and physical illnesses, or in my case: a learning disability.
My parents were told that I would not amount to much in life, I would not have a career, husband or children because it was decreed by respectable medical professionals that I would not have the mental capacity or brains for any of those three blessings.
I didn't know those medical professionals by name, let alone their faces - but because I didn't know them I didn't believe them because a career, a husband and children was something that I knew I wanted since I watched the Sound of Music when I was eight years old.

At the age of eleven I was overweight and my mother had enrolled us girls into dance classes - at first I absolutely hated them, the strain on my muscles and feeling tired from working out but I got used to it. I became good enough to dance in the end-of-year concert but my dance teacher said that they did not make costumes in my size. "It's a shame, she has such a pretty face." She said to my mother with me standing right there. With a lot of tough love and persistent dance practice, I lost enough weight to have one of those standardized dance costumes made for me and I danced in that end-of-year concert.

A few years ago, a well-meaning friend told me that I would never be able to travel by plane on my own because of my disability. I travelled back home from Fiji on my own in 2015 and again to Melbourne for Christmas that same year, I also flew to Singapore last year to meet Alan.
At the Fiji airport I remember how nervous I was but I proved to myself that I could check in, find food, wander and catch a plane by myself and once I was on the plane I realised that I had broken a curse that was said over my life. What I also learnt was that it is harder to break the curses of words said over you by loved ones, but it can be done.


These are three scenarios that I remember as curses over my life, by people I didn't know and who I knew. Professional decrees and assumed well-meaning, personal opinions of what I could or could not achieve in my life because of my disability or weight.


 I learnt to defy the odds early in life because I knew from an early age that my thought process was outside the box. What made me conquer these curses was half desperation to fit in with 'mainstream' people, give the middle-finger to those doctors who knew me only by name and what they knew of my diagnosis.
The other factor that made me strive to break these curses was defiance, I would not accept these opinions as the truth.

Years ago when *Victoria was in grade eleven, she decided she wanted to become a lawyer.
She's really smart but people in the family thought she would go and be an actress or a fashion designer. "You would be disappointed if you do all this hard work and don't get the right score to get into law." Somebody told her and that was when *Victoria became defiant. She would not accept this verdict of what somebody else thought she could or could not do. So she hit the books and after she completed her schooling, undertook a bridging course of a Bachelor of Arts and the following year, was accepted in Legal Studies at UQ.
 The day she graduated from that four year course is a high-light in our family's memories and the photographic evidence has a place of pride in my parent's downstairs lounge-room.
*Victoria broke that curse that was spoken over her because she did not believe it, it started out that she wanted to prove that person wrong but in the end she did it for herself.

What I learnt from seeing *Victoria break her curse was that I was not the only one who had been cursed by the opinions of others. Everyone has a curse that they have to break that has been said over them or life experiences that have formed beliefs around certain areas in their lives.
 The class-clown who isn't taken seriously by anyone so he doesn't take himself seriously.
The shy girl in the libary who is afraid to say hello to anyone in case she is rejected, so she doesn't.
For a curse to be real, we have to believe it.

I am unworthy.
I am unloved.
I am afraid.
I am dumb.
I am always late.
I am ugly.
I can't fight.
 I can't swim.
I can't commit.
I can't find anyone to spend the rest of my life with.
I don't have time.
I am a follower, not a leader.

Sometimes it doesn't have to be another person's opinion that can create our curses, it can also be our own thinking. And it is with our minds that we break curses, the first action to break a curse is you need to believe the opposite of what you are thinking.

Instead of saying. "I am unworthy, I am unloved, I am ugly."
You say: "I am worthy, I am loved, I am beautiful."
You say it until you mean it and believe it, with the same passion and conviction that you used to justify the curse. At this time you don't need to convince anybody, just yourself.
After you convince yourself you take opportunities to reinforce what you think.
See the opposite of what you are believe because after you change what you are thinking you will be given situations as opportunities to align your thinking with your reality and hence, break the curse.

My sixth grade teacher, a very lovely man with a love of jersey cows but was very strict as well.
"Willful disobedience." is something that I remember hearing him say or yell in frustration and anger when students were sent to his office. I was one of those students once and I remember shaking in my shoes out in the hall. I don't remember why I was sent there but considering the fact that I was mostly a goodie-two-shoes it was probably justified.
Years later that phrase became a battle cry for breaking curses that are inflicted on me by myself or others.

Except I have changed Disobedience to 'Defiance'
Willful defiance has served me well in life and curse-breaking.

What is the opposite of a curse?
A blessing.
Bless yourself, bless others and don't allow either to curse you.

- Sarah x









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cafe Metz, Canungra

The Dreamer

New Beginnings