The Move & Big Magic

LIFE

Last Thursday morning at 10:03AM, A. and I arrived back in Brisbane from ten days of travelling.
We spent five days in Brunei Darussalam before jumping on a ferry for Labuan where we spent a night, then we got a plane to Sabah (shortest flight I have ever been on) where we spent two nights before going back to Labuan, spent another night there before heading back to Brunei Darussalam for one more night before waking up at 4:30AM on Wednesday to fly out to Singapore at 9:15AM.

We spent twelve delightful hours in transit before hopping on a plane back home.
If there is ever an apocalypse, Singapore Airport is the place to be!
For the past five days A. and I have been adjusting ourselves to the cold climate that we have come back to after spending ten days in the tropics. The first couple of days were a bit 'meh' because the second we scanned our passports at immigration our overseas holiday had well and truly ended.
I'll say this for A. and I, we travel well together. 
As much as we want to get back out there in the big wide world, we're slowly wrapping our heads around staying put for awhile to prepare ourselves for our next adventure: The Move.

The Move is something we have talked about on and off for three years now, whenever the end of our lease has approached we have decided to stay because we have our own little Ramsey Street/Fawlty Towers thing happening here and it made financial sense. But now The Move is happening.
A. informed our real estate agent yesterday that there was no need to renew our lease and he has spent every spare minute looking for houses and a quarter of our belongings are packed away and sealed in boxes. It's so strange, for the first couple of years I just wanted to get the hell outta dodge - vamoose. But now I'm going to miss Ramsey Street/Fawlty Towers a lot.
A. has his eye on a house a couple of suburbs away and usually when A. makes up his mind about something - it happens like magic. 
I really like this house that we saw today - at first I was determined to hate it because it usually takes me two hours to get home depending on what time I finish work - and this house was kind of a little bit off the trail but the buses go every ten minutes instead of at half-hour intervals.
 The house has a quaint charm with a fence and a big backyard that I am already dreaming about turning into a fairy-garden.
There is room for cooking, living, creating and dreaming.
The last few years have been about grieving, recovering and reclaiming our lives to preparing for the mile-stones ahead. Which include a wedding. We've already got a marriage and it's a great one, we just have to make it legal. We'll be man and wife in thirty weeks.

LOVE

On Sunday my family and A. watched as my baby cousin, *Fox was dedicated to God.
I spent most of the service crying in awe and joy at the things that God has done in the lives of my family and loved ones. Later on that day I cried as I watched a video about this guy being reunited with his mother and brother after ten years of living in America alone - I saw a grown-man throw himself on the floor and cry for his mother and she just went and held him.
Sunday was quite a teary day, for all the good reasons.

& THE EVERY DAY....

Last Thursday before I left Singapore, I spotted a book called Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert, known as the author of Eat, Pray, Love. I loved the book and enjoyed the movie.
I was tired and wasn't sure what I was in the mood for - I had bought one other book called 'Til Death Do Us Part' by Amanda Quicke, it's a gothic Victorian love-story about a match-maker, Calista, who is evading the clutches of a deadly stalker...enter the dashing Trent, a fictional crime author who plays at being a detective keeps her out of harms way. I was very happy with this purchase.
But then the cashier said if I bought something else worth $30 dollars I would go in the draw for a chance to win a million. And A. really wants to win a million...
So I went back to the book-shelf and picked up Big Magic and I haven't put it down since Saturday.
In this new book, Big Magic; Elizabeth Gilbert talks about creativity, what attracts and repels it and thanks to her, I've been able to see my writing gift and my life in a whole new way that I had never thought of.
It's a very liberating, breath-taking and magical read. 

I feel like I can enter into this new chapter of my life to succeed not just creatively, but bravely and confidently; believing that I am entitled to my own opinions and what I currently hold, I need no one's permission and don't need to ask for forgiveness unless I have done wrong.

Damn...that book is powerful! Go and pick up a copy of Big Magic if you need some fairy-dust and warm, down-to-earth advice.

Okay, coming down off Big Magic. Just a funny anecdote...

A week before we were due to leave for Brunei Darusallem, our washing machine would wash the clothes but wouldn't drain the water. We are tossing up whether to change the motor or upgrading.
 Now my phone keeps locking me out before I can finish typing in my password.
 I haven't seen a single call or text all day.
Tomorrow is my first day back at work and there is no wake-up alarm set...
 This is a perfect example of cosmic humour and I am laughing right along!
(Okay, that's half the truth. I actually laughed after I called my phone an asshole!)


- Sarah x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cafe Metz, Canungra

The Dreamer

New Beginnings