A Busy Bee Indeed!

OKAY...so that was a pretty hectic week!
Yesterday was my fifth day back in the work place, I have been blessed with quite a few shifts.
I think it was a sheer miracle that I finished the week, because I have been fighting off a cold.
Sore throat, runny nose, coughing up phlegm but it wasn't bad enough for me to stay in bed all day - no siree! I can't stay at home if I know that there is another staff member who is way more sick than I am and still turns up!
In Brisbane the evenings seem to stretch on endlessly, which is great if you have white blinds and want to get a few of extra hours sleep in! The mornings are frigid and I feel like giving the evil-eye to people who are running around in singlets!
Not that I can talk, on Monday I wore a long shirt beneath my work uniform and a cardigan and I think that is why I have been sick.

Being back at work has been really awesome, it seems I have been able to pick up where I left off last year; although there is something about the centre that flows a little easier, most of the old staff is there with a few new faces which I am looking forward to getting to know better.
One of my work mates is pregnant again, after delivering a healthy, gorgeous baby boy almost ten months ago- she is welcoming Baby Number Two in October.
 I didn't find out until yesterday that she was pregnant when she told me she could not change nappies, there is only one good reason why a carer cannot change a nappy.
"Are you pregnant?!" I demanded incredulously, equally stunned and delighted.
"Wasn't her stomach a clue?" Another work mate asked in an amused voice.
"I had no idea! The coat hides it pretty well!" I answered truthfully before offering my congratulations.

Other than getting to know my new co-workers, I have had the pleasure of reacquainting myself with a few parents who still remembered me from last year.
"Where have you been? Is everything thing okay? Are you all right?"
"Yeah, I just needed some time away. I'm really happy to be back." I replied with a smile which none of them could doubt, for it was also the truth.
Other than the meet-and-greet of staff, kids and parents; I have been getting used to a whole new regime that resembles a busy, bustling bee-hive and the atmosphere is high-energy - it is startling, mind-boggling; you only have two choices, run away like hell is here or embrace the crazy!
I am back in my mileu and loving every second of it and it often makes me question why my mind did a complete 380 in the other direction last year.

I listened to the song A. had played for me on the bus by Band of Horses.
All I heard was "...but no one is gonna love you more than I do", and thought it was the most beautiful song I had ever heard, simply because he thought of me when he listened to it.
It is beautiful, but heart-breaking at the same time. It's about loving somebody so much that you are afraid you'll lose them.
(Well, ditto. A. Looks like we are stuck in the same boat for the next seventy to eighty years! )


It's looking like a limb torn off
Or altogether just taken apart
We're reeling through an endless fall
We are the ever-living ghost of what once was

But no one is ever gonna love you more than I do
No one's gonna love you more than I do

And anything to make you smile
It is my better side of you to admire
But they should never take so long
Just to be over then back to another one

But no one is ever gonna love you more than I do
No one's gonna love you more than I do

But someone,
They could have warned you
When things start splitting at the seams and now
The whole thing's tumbling down
Things start splitting at the seams and now
If things start splitting at the seams and now,
It's tumbling down
Hard.

Anything to make you smile
You are the ever-living ghost of what once was
I never want to hear you say
That you'd be better off
Or you liked it that way

But no one is ever gonna love you more than I do
No one's gonna love you more than I do

But someone
They should have warned you
When things start splitting at the seams and now
The whole thing's tumbling down
Things start splitting at the seams and now
If things start splitting at the seams and now,
It's tumbling down
Hard
 
 
This is my song for A. It's called Forever & A Day by Jewel.

 The other day you asked me to
Tell you how much I love you.
Oh but words so often fail,
To describe the depth and scale,
and even though it may sound cliche,
I'll tell you now in my simple way.

 My love is as true as the oceans are blue,
and I always feel this way.
Just listen to the beating that keeps repeating
My heart wants to say
Like Gala and Dali, it's you and me,
Forever and a day.
Forever and a day,
Always

 You watch me turn out the light,
Wrap my arms around you, say good night.
Trace our shadows on the wall.
Thank God for the miracle of it all
 
Just listen to the beating that keeps repeating
My heart wants to say
Like Gala and Dali, it's you and me,
Forever and a day.
Forever and a day,
Always
 
The road of life winds
With the passing of time.
I can hear you say,
"How can hearts know
where love will go
beyond today?"

 My love is as true as the oceans are blue,
and I always feel this way.
Just listen to the beating that keeps repeating
My heart wants to say
Like Gala and Dali, it's you and me,
Forever and a day.
Forever and a day,
Always
 
I reckon it is true what they say that songs express what some people can't with words.
 
I was correct when I mentioned a few blogs ago that life was about to become more interesting, juggling family, friends, A., study, work and driving lessons plus writing is going to be a challenge. But hey, at least I'll have more yarns to talk about on here and hopefully more interesting fluff.
 
This afternoon I spoke with my grandparents, it felt great to talk to them again because it has been a couple of months since I last saw them. I call them up every couple of weeks to say hi and that I'm thinking of them, because when I was a raving, spoilt pubescent I didn't make time for them as I should have. Which is stupid, because I love both of them madly.
If turning twenty-five has given me any wisdom at all, it is simply that we don't have as much time as we think and that we need to make every minute count with the ones we love.
 
Grandma happily told me about pottering about in the garden with Grandad today and fed me a few tid-bits of family gossip and how Grandad's birthday was in a couple of weeks time.
Grandad acknowledged this was true and declared that he was an old man, he is such a dear, when ever I see a flannel hat I think of the flannel cap he wears every day!
He seemed interested in talking about what a Kindle was; although he believed that a book was something which was hardcopy with pages, and cautioned me against trusting the electric blanket A. had bought a couple of weeks ago implicitly due to the possibility of fire-hazard.
"That is why your Grandma and I just use really thick blankets." He said simply. 
Unfortunately, the phone cut us off before we could speak anymore; I called through twice before leaving a message saying I loved them and to stay safe.
They are a couple of tough cookies, they have lived long enough to see WW2 end, colour television, a rapidly changing city and culture, Flower Power, the evolvement of brick-like technology to sleek designs. For me they are down-to-earth and constant and I hope that they will live for a long time to see more life-changing technology and meet their great grand kids!
 
Anyway, that has been my life this week - a fun, crazy ride!
I hope I have more interesting fluff to share with you soon!
I'm going to leave you with the knowledge that I have finally caved and watched Frozen and I think it is so amazing that I would love to get a snow-flake tattoo because despite having a cold myself, I actually really do love the winter season!
 
Adios,
 
Your friendly neighbourhood Frozen fan!
 
 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cafe Metz, Canungra

The Dreamer

New Beginnings