What Makes Me Happy

This past year has been a year of personal and spiritual growth for me. In my own reflective journal a couple of months ago, I asked myself this question in third person.
"What makes Sarah happy?
What is Sarah meant to do with her life?"
And after that I answered my own question underneath.
I also felt that from that moment on, I needed to take a mental note of what made me smile, inside and out.

1) Family
Over the long weekend I went to a family BBQ. One thing I love about parties is the entire presentation of food and drink. I scooped some avocado mash into a glass cup just to add a bit of razzle-dazzle and I asked *Cassandra. "What do you think?" She gives me a "Are you really asking me this" look before saying.
"I think its mashed avocado in a cup." Yeah, I live for moments like this...

2) Friends
There have been so many delicious and cherished memories this year with friends. Old friends and new friends. Home made dinners with candle light and heart-to-hearts. Movies and lunch-dates.
The cheeky drinks and fire-side hangs have brought us all closer. Plus there has been fun dinners at Miss Kay's with my co-workers, who I am also blessed to call friends. Through these beautiful people, I have learnt that friendships brighten our world. All of them have definately brightened my life and in the process, made my heart lighter and have made me stronger and better person.

3) Day Dreaming About Seoul and Tokyo.
When I am on my daily commute to work and home, my lunch-break or am feeling crappy, I day dream about the next two countries that are on my travel map.
What started out as a day trip to an anime convention started a manga craze, which started to fan the flames of my Japanese/Korean drama obsession. Now I am learning (slowly) Japanese and Korean words and I sometimes get words mixed up. But this hobby makes me happy.

4) Smells & Sights
I enjoy burning scented candles while I write or just to create ambiance at home. I like watching rain fall and marvelling at the city lights at night.

5) An Eccentric Hobby
My eccentric hobby is reading the crema dregs in mugs of hot chocolate and coffee. Its like a game of pictionary and using your intution of what you see in the cup to tell a story.

6) Rain Watching
A rainy day is a happy one (unless I am at work and the kidlets have cabin fever...) Rainy days on the weekend mean lots and lots of writing because the gentle pitter-patter of rain and the dreamy look of it sets my imagination on fire.
When *Cassandra and I were teenagers it rained quite heavily and we dressed up pretty then went out and danced in the rain for ages! Its one of the most special memories I share with *Cass.

7) Lets Go Walking...
I enjoy a good walk, strolling through winding rain forest trails and walking down streets with lavish houses just to shamelessly ogle at them. Thats my weekly work-out.

8) Swing, Swing
My absolute favourite form of exercise is finding a swing at the local park with my head-phones and swing with the rythmn of the music!
Its free, gets your heart pumping and a great work-out for legs, stomach and butt!

9) Dancing Fever
My favourite thing about my job is dancing and singing. On Thursdays and Fridays we have little disco parties and its something really special that helps me and my co-workers bond with each other and the children. Dancing is something I do without thinking and thats what I love about it.

10) Feasts
I love the sight of a hearty feast, a variety of different food on one table. The ambiance of candle and fairy-light, flowers spilling out of vases and figurines, cutlery wrapped in cloth napkins.

11) Art
Whether I paint it, draw it, mould it or wear it. Art has this way of helping me connect with who I am on the inside. When ever I finish a creation I feel this incredible happiness, like I could go out and paint the world. Creativity is a way of life with what we already have and making it extrodinary.

12) Making Wishes
There is one childhood habit I have not grown out of and that is making wishes. I make wishes on stars and when I blow on danilions, whenever I see a patch of dandilions I do not hesitate to pick up a dandilion and make a wish.
Sometimes I make wishes for me and other times I make wishes for others. This is how I keep young in my heart and mind.

Sometimes there are simple answers for hard questions. We just have to listen to what our intuition is telling us, that little voice from within that tells us whether something is right or wrong for us; or what we should do about certain situations or people. I have found that when I do listen to my inner-voice, I hear understanding, compassion and wisdom. With that being said, there is one more thing that makes me happy. Me. I make myself happy when I pay attention to my intuition, my feelings and what I have to do to feed my soul.

And so, dear reader. I hope you know what makes you happy and that you will cherish and follow those things with joy, because they are a part of who you are.
Your existence in this world is no accident, you have amazing potential, talent and natural gifts to bring joy to yourself and others.


As William Shakespeare rightfully said. "The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away."

- Sarah x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cafe Metz, Canungra

The Dreamer

Inspiration and Hope