Where Else But A Libary?

"Libaries are resoivours of strength, grace, and wit, a reminder of order, calm and continuinity, lakes of mental energy, neither warm nor cold, light nor dark. In any libary in the world, I am at home, unselfconscious, still and absorbed." - Germaine Greer
                                                                                 *

A libary is like a bar with a tab that has a beverage for every palate and preference, for the discernable or the naive. I always feel a sense of awe as I walk down the aisles of a libary; the legacies of authors living or deceased. All different genres, fields of interest, raw and gritty or sweet and fluffy. It has been a year since I have graced a library door with my presence because I haven't been able to pay an overdue fee.
Last Saturday I finally paid it and for the cost of one book - I got three to borrow.
 Come Sundown by Nora Roberts and Haunted, book two in the Ghost House series by Alexandra Adornetto and another book that I have since forgotten.
But I had been waiting to read Haunted for two years since reading Ghost House.
It was a bitter-sweet ending and well worth the wait but I hope that Alexandra Adornetto has more to add to the story of Chloe and Alexander...

The first Nora Robert's book I ever read was Montana Sky and since then I have kept on reading, I think I have more of Nora Robert's books than any other author on my Kindle. I like how she spins a yarn that is woven with love, tangled with complications and passion, humor and the happily-forever-afters that are the icing of any romance. That's actually the genre I want to write for. I love happy, soppy romances with reluctant heros and strong heroines. Gah, I sound like a cliche!
 But there you have it.

I read all three books before Thursday then I returned them. On Saturday just gone I went back, I had no idea what I was looking for until I found them.

Wizards - A Magical History Tour by Tim Dedopulos

 As a Harry Potter fan, it makes sense that I want to learn more about wizards.
 I was really excited to find a reference to Michael Scot, a Scottish wizard who may be an ancestor on my grandmother's side. I have a copy called the Lay of the Last Minstrel by Walter Scott, another ancestor who made a reference to Michael.
I am pretty mundane myself, but finding out that I may be very distantly related to a real-life wizard is pretty cool!

Life Loves You by Louise Hay and Robert Holden

The title caught my attention and I picked it up and after reading the blurb, knew that I had to take it home with me. Last year I went through a phase where I was wondering "What else is there?"
With the help of close friends and family, I did find my way back to a peaceful place and am constantly on the look-out for inspiration. I find the ol' "Do better" is a bit wearing on the self-esteem, especially since I already do my best. What I realised late last year was that I needed to simply "Live better". And this is the basis of Life Loves You, Louise Hay and Robert Holden talk about their own life experiences plus their know-how of going from "My life hates me." (I believed that last year) to Life Loves Me. It's the perfect read for anyone who wants to start living again with a holistic and loving perspective of what living your best means.

"When you stop following your inner voice, you become estranged from yourself." - Life Loves  You, page 123.

"Fear shows us one world, love shows us another world." - Louise Hay, Life Loves You

"When you love yourself, you grow up. Love helps you to grow beyond your past, beyond pain, beyond fears, beyond your ego and beyond all your small ideas about yourself. Love is what you're made of, and love helps you to be who you truly are." - Louise Hay, Page 217 - Life Loves You

Louise Hay passed away last year on August 30th 2017 and has left a beautiful legacy in her works.


The Courage To Be Creative by Doreen Virtue

 I respect Doreen as a writer and an artist and after reading Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert, I was keen to learn someone else's opinion on the subject of creativity. I like the way that Doreen not only writes, but lives and breathes her creativity from a genuine heart-space.
Here is a paragraph that really stood out to me from The Courage to Be Creative...

"Use your lovable, raw, hurt, angry, vulnerable, and sympathetic self as both your muse and your audience. Create a product or service to help and inspire you.
If you're writing a screen play or novel, make yourself one of the characters. If you're penning a song, compose lyrics about how you feel. Write the book that you wih you could read. Create that crystal jewellery you've always wanted. Paint the wall mural you envision above the sofa. And so forth...
This is creativity from the true understanding of oneness: that as you help others, you help yourself."
- The Courage to Be Creative by Doreen Virtue, page 27.

Tranquilsta by Kimberly Wilson

If I ever got it into my mind to start a book-club this is the book I would start with.
It is a practical, down-to-earth, feel-good guide to creating the life that you want for yourself and this is the paragraph that really spoke to me in this book.

"Not quite feeling the aspiration love? Wondering how in the world you're going to open that business, raise a family, write that novel, or star on Broadway? Remember my ninth-grade "fake it til' you make it" motto. You may be trembling in your stillettos, but never get up and declare, "I'm so nervous." Or you may be a brand new yoga teacher terrified to take a group of students through sun salutations. Again, don't 'fess up and say, "This is my first class, I'm so nervous."
That bewildered audience or class will be wondering why in the world you're up in front teaching them. The key is to just do it. Ask yourself, "What's the worst that could happen?" and put yourself out there. Everyone has to start somewhere. And everyone has a first time. Many people continue to be nervous after years of performing, writing or public speaking. I'm not asking you to lie; I'm simply encouraging you to keep some things to yourself. Instead, get up there like you are the queen of Sheba: regal, deserving of attention, statuesque, and full of lots to say."



Notorious Australian Women by Kay Sanders

As much as I am fascinated by Australian's colonial era, I would not want to have been alive back then. But there were women who broke the mould of tradition who did what they wanted, when they wanted to and to hell with anyone who tried to stop them.
These women were daring, cunning and clever. Notorious Australian Women features women who set out to make a difference in their communities through charitable works, others for personal gain.
 Some of these women like Mary Cockerill who was a bush ranger and Tilly Devine who ran a prostitution ring in Victoria were dangerous in street-smarts and cunning.
 Mary Cockerill was adopted by a white family and as a teenager, fell in love with a criminal. As an indigenous woman she knew how to survive in the harsh conditions of the frontier and she was known for her ability to live off the land and commanded a small band of men and stole from her old neighourhood.

 Tilly Devine was a contrast of cruel and kindness, she would hit out at anyone who dared to go against her but she also donated generously to a children's hospital and veteran's welfare associations. She was very tit-for-tat, any man who hurt one of her girls would find himself marked with a razor. 

But the woman who really caught my attention was Lady Maie Casey, (birth name Ethel Marion Sumner), not because she was a bohemian artist and despite having a husband; had at least several reported romantic liaisons with women. I found out that Lady Maie Casey and I share a connection, if not blood. 

"The Ryan's were a cultured family. Charles's sister, Ellis Rowan (1848-1922), was a distinguished botanical artist. Another sister, Ada, married Lord Charles Scott, the younger brother of the sixth Duke of Buccleach and eighth Duke of Queensbury." - Notorious Australian Women, Lady Maie Casey - page 138.

One of the Duke of Buccleuch's holdings is Drumlanrig Castle; and my great, great grandfather on my grandmother's side was a Scott. Ring-a-ding-ding! So basically, my ancestor Lord Charles Scott, the younger brother of the sixth duke of Buccleuch - married an aunt of Lady Maie Casey, who was notorious enough to end up in this book! That was an incredible find! My mind is boggling at the thought that I have found two ancestral connections on my paternal grandmother's side, both of them notorious in their own ways.


Bibliotheca is Latin, it means a collection of books and it has become my favourite word!
Excuse me, ladies and gentlemen - as I have an errand to run at my local bibliotheca. 

- Sarah x
                                                                                  *

"All this she must possess," added Darcy, "and to all this she must yet add something more substantial, in the improvement of her mind by extensive reading." - Mr. Darcy, Pride and Prejudice








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cafe Metz, Canungra

The Dreamer

Getting Uncomfortable