Seasons & Play-lists

LIFE

A chill is in the wind and the leaves are beginning to dot and fall.
What I love about Autumn is its a time of reflection and de-cluttering.
With a new season at the door, A. and I are preparing ourselves for a new chapter.
After four years at our current abode, we are starting to look for a rental house where we can have barbeques and built-in wardrobes. Soon we'll be saying a fond farewell to our cosy two bedroom unit that has given us a sanctuary from the world.

The people who come to live in our small community are beautiful souls who fell on rough times.
 I told my neighbour Jess that our units remind me of The Cave of Adullum, where David ran to hide from Saul. At first it was just him, alone in a cave and cut off from everything he knew or was, depressed and angry with his circumstances. But he wasn't alone for long, men from different walks of life with stories of their own came to seek shelter in the cave of Adullum. Sons of rich fathers who had gambled away their inheritance, drunks who had disgusted their friends and family with their behavior, out-laws, the poor, orphaned and indebted. For whatever reason, those men who ended up in the Cave of Adullum were unwanted and unclaimed, forty men who banded together to become a family and reclaim what they had lost.
And sure enough, when David became King they all left the cave. That is now my favourite story in the Bible because we have our own modern-day Cave of Adullum with electricity and hot running water.

LOVE

Ever since Anzac Day I have been thinking about my Aunt Betty who passed away when I was fifteen. She and I were alike in many ways, both of us quiet souls with a shared love for God, writing and sweets. I miss her very much and there are questions I wish I could ask her now that I'm old enough. But I know that she's in Heaven and that is comforting.
There is a song by Brad Paisley called "When I Get To Where I'm Going", that song came on Spotify when I was thinking about Auntie Betty. Some of you might say:
"Come on, Sarah. It's just a song on your play-list that came up randomly at that exact moment."
What more can I say? Each to their own.

& THE EVERY DAY 

For the most part I have been binge-watching Netflix and sipping tons of Oolong and Green tea.
Everyday presents its own challenges. Most of the time I'm okay but I'm learning to ask for help when I really need it. Other than that, I'm just cruising along.
I've picked up my game with studying my Childcare Diploma, the last two modules I have submitted in a timely fashion.

 Last night I went over to Jess's place and we created vision boards with a friend of hers, it was a beautiful night powered by optimism, wine and chatter.
 I've blue-tacked my vision board to the back of my front door so I see it on my way out, to remind me of what I want. When I was young I thought I wanted everything - but now all I crave is quiet and simplicity and that is a life-style I am beginning to put into practice.

My work has been hosting a professional development course off and on for a couple of Saturdays and I learnt a few things. One of those things was mindfulness. There was this gorgeous book with mindfulness exercises and Thich Nhat Hanh, a Vietnamese Buddist monk who has dedicated his life to peace and helping his fellow man. Thich Nhat Hahn lives in France at a place called Plum Village that he founded. Mum got into meditation years ago but there hadn't been a draw for me back then, I didn't want to meditate - I just wanted to live and be loud back then. 
There are times when I still do - like when I hear Blink 182's All The Small Things, that song will make me stop whatever I'm doing and dance.

What I have found perplexing is that all the things that I had an opportunity to learn back in my childhood and teenage years, I wish I had put more effort into excelling in.
For instance, I wish I had learnt Japanese because now I am picking up bits and pieces in both Japanese and Korean. I do have a laugh at myself sometimes because it's hard to wrap my tongue around words.
But that's life sometimes - when you wish you had done the things you didn't want to do when you were first asked to try. But I'm grateful that I have a chance tomorrow to keep trying and excelling in life, it's like a game of Snakes & Ladders. Chance and choices can make you go up a ladder or slide down a snake. Looking on the bright side though, I can't regret anything because all the ladders and snakes in my life so far have taught me something and made me a better person.

Anyhow, I just want to share one more thing which is ten songs from my play-list.

1: When I Get To Where I'm Going - Brad Paisley. (This song is a letter from our loved ones in Heaven.)
2: Summer Pillow - Kasey Chambers
3: This Flower - Kasey Chambers (I think of my parents when I hear this song because over the years they have sacrificed and helped me a lot)
4: We're All Gonna Die Someday - Kasey Chambers (A karoke favourite)
5: True Colours - Kasey Chambers
6: The Quiet Life - Kasey Chambers
7: Let It Be Me - Jasmine Rae
8: Travellin' Soldier - Dixie Chicks (I balled my eyes out when I first heard this one.)
9: Breathe - Faith Hill
10: Fourth Floor - The Waifs (This tune is really bright and happy, it lifts my spirits on my morning commute to work.)


Nighty-night and sweet dreams.

- Sarah x







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dreamer

New Beginnings

Soul Explorer Part 2 - A Little Time on the Green