Meditating Life

Last week I was up late and scrolling through YOUTUBE when I stumbled across two videos.
One of them was Sarah Knight talking about not giving a f*** (that's a life-changing video, I have watched it four times) and Shauna Shapiro saying that what we practice grows stronger.
Watching those videos created a chain of events. At a Professional Development workshop I read a book about Thich Nhat Hanh which made me think about meditation.

Years ago when I first tried meditation, I absolutely hated it and didn't see the point in sitting down and thinking about nothing. Now that I am twenty-eight, meditation is something I really enjoy.
Just sitting there, present in the moment and hearing the sound of my breath going through my nostrils and out of my mouth and hearing the beat of my heart.
I am hoping that by practicing meditation that it will help me cope with the occasional on-sets of anxiety I have.

Today was my day off and after going to my personal training session, doing the laundry and finishing my Work With Diverse People module - I decided it was the perfect time to practice mindfulness. I surfed on YouTube and found a ten minute meditation and sat there quite contentedly as I followed the prompts, breathed in and out and every time my mind set on a thought or a worry I would picture that thought as a balloon (as the sexy, masculine voice on the video instructed).

After my eyes fluttered open I felt the need to be outside in nature so I pulled on my rarely used gardening gloves and hosed the garden and pulled out the weeds. As I stood there watering the garden I thought about how cool it would be to have a thriving vegetable and wild flower garden with chooks. I have to admit, I was a little startled that either of those things appeal to me now.
Growing up I have never had the green-thumb and I have only thought about chickens as egg donors and food. But after helping look after the chickens at work, I reckon that is something I would be interested in doing.  My neighbour *Sunny once told me that if you plant a garden, you can appreciate something that you have tended with your own two hands and on days when you feel down, you look at it and remember that you have achieved something.

When A. and I move in with *Cassandra's boyfriend, *Harry, I know that gardening is something I want to do, even if its just a flower bed at the side of the yard. For the moment, however, I am practicing keeping *Sunny's flowers alive. Wish me luck!

- Sarah x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dreamer

New Beginnings

Soul Explorer Part 2 - A Little Time on the Green