Don't Quit

Four years ago when I was at my lowest, a lady from my church pressed a book into my hands and said. "This book is something you should read."
I figured that since my life was in limbo and getting out of bed every morning was a chore, that I didn't have any thing to lose by reading it. So I bought and read it.
It was a Christian book that was called "Don't Quit" - I have since misplaced that book because I can't find it in my book shelves, but I am so grateful that I got a chance to read it because at that time of my life, I wanted to quit putting in the effort to get anywhere because I was afraid that it would come to nothing. Today that book came to mind after my personal training session; not because I needed it again but remembering its existence reminded me of a time when I was ready to quit and I couldn't see the path in front of me. Reading that book made me see the first step I had to take and shortly after that, the darkness began to disappear from in front of my feet - before I knew it, my steps became more confident and quicker. And though it took time, I rebuilt my life from the foundation up - something more stronger and durable. There were times when I second-guessed myself, days that I wanted to quit because those days presented moments which demanded more than I felt I could give at the time.
I'll be honest - there have been times when I have wanted to quit something.
Gym, writing, my job, study (and for 24 hours I considered quitting eating meat and going vegan).

Gym: Because I was lazy.

Writing: Because the publishing industry takes its sweet time getting back to promising writers.

My Job: Because I was afraid of making mistakes and looking after the progeny of nice strangers can be a daunting task. It's hectic, rewarding and an emotional roller-coaster where one minute I am thinking "Oh yes, I can see myself doing this for as long as I am physically capable." and then there are hair-raising moments when I am like "OMGOSH...the sweet, serene advertisements for studying childcare are lying to everyone!"

Lastly, study - because I wasn't sure I could do it.

As for the 24 hour meat strike...I had a prickle of moral conscience and then realised that if I went vegan I wouldn't be able to eat my Mum's spaghetti bolognaise...

So with these things I had to make a choice - to step up or stand down.
There's a saying circulating on social media "Don't stop when you're tired, stop when you're done."
It is a motivational quote for exercising but those words really resonated with me - even though I might be tired, I'm not done with any of these things yet and I won't be for a long time.

My advice to you guys out there who are feeling tired and discouraged - don't quit.
Don't quit your faith, your life, your family, your relationships or your dreams that bring you joy and purpose. Everyday, make a vow not to quit and see what happens.


When things go wrong, as they sometimes will.
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill.
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
and you want to smile, but you have to sigh.
When care is pressing you down a bit -
rest if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is queer with twists and turns,
as everyone of us sometimes learns.
And many a fellow turns about, when he might have won had he stuck it out.
Don't give up though the pace seems slow;
you make succeed with a another blow.
Often the goal is nearer than it seems to a faint and faltering man.

Often the struggler has given up, when he might have captured the victor's cup.
And he learned too late when the night came down, how close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out.
The silver tint in the clouds of doubt, and you never can tell how close you are, it might be near when it seems afar.
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit, it's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

- Edgar A. Guest

J.K Rowling has also inspired me - not just as a successful writer but as a person.
Like all Harry Potter fans, she is one of the people I wish I could meet.
When I was young I would day-dream about meeting Oprah over a cup of coffee and a copy of my latest best-seller. Same goes for J.K Rowling. But I'm kind of glad that I haven't met either of them...I like to think that I am cool and sophisticated but I'm the one who screams and goes somewhere to hyperventilate whenever somebody gets engaged or pregnant...anyway...now that I have aired out that dream I'm putting it back in the box for now...and back to why J.K Rowling is one of the coolest people on the planet...
She gives great advice about becoming yourself, resilience and perseverance with dry English wit and humility.
 Go to YouTube and look up The Benefits of Failure - J.K Rowling. It's life changing!

Oh and while you are doing as I say - think about going and seeing Beauty & The Beast if you haven't already. A growling Dan Stevens is absolutely delicious and that is one of the reasons why I am going to see Beauty & The Beast as much as I can before it goes out of cinema!

- Sarah x





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cafe Metz, Canungra

The Dreamer

Inspiration and Hope