The Secret & My Korean Obsession

LIFE

Some years ago I watched "The Secret", a documentry on the Law Of Attraction after Mum practically chained me to the couch to watch it. She was right when she said I'd love it!
Last week I realized that I needed a refresher - so I watched the first twenty minutes and suddenly had a yen to clean my desk. During that time these words came to mind and fell off my tongue.
Ï choose to surround myself with beauty. 
And I repeated it over and over again. For the past four days I have noticed that I feel calmer, even in the face of stressful situations and when unexpected things happen - I have found that I have been able to do one of two things; Laugh or Move On.
Lately I have felt like I should be someone else, doing something else with her life. And that is mostly on days when I speak or think negatively - and usually that 'something else' with my life is writing up a storm on my lap-top.
At the moment I am currently wrapping my head around the idea that aside from being a doctor or an astronaut, everything I want to achieve is in my reach and if I work hard and believe in myself, it will come to pass when it is supposed to.

LOVE

A. and I don't really celebrate Valentines Day, our way of showing we love each other is with food.
A. is the best cook out of both of us, he can read a recipe and have it turn out exactly as it should the first time - I can count on one hand how many times a recipe turned out wrong.
In my case, unless its spaghetti bolonaise, chocolate cake, stir-fry or eggs - there's a fifty-fifty chance that it might flop. A. will never forget our first year anniversary together. I burnt burritos and at the time we lived in a student unit complex, he walked through the front gate and looked up - seeing smoke waft out of our unit door and his first thought was. "Sarah must be cooking!"
At least I didn't put all of the burritos in the oven and the dessert was at least four stars; waffles with vanilla icecream with gratered ferrero rocheres.
I am happy to say that over the past few years, there have been fewer incidents like that first anniversary!

& THE EVERYDAY

The past week has been hotter than Hades but the other day it bucketed it down so hard that after alighting from a bus, I landed in a puddle - by the time I met A. at Subway, I had Niagra Falls in my shoes and looked like a worthy competitor for the wet t-shirt contest!
The past couple of days have been so beautiful in Brisbane. Still hot but its been over-cast, on Wednesday I walked from my house to a local shopping centre to catch the bus - the hike took me one hour and ten minutes. I've decided I'm going to make it a regular thing because I do my best work- outs in the mornings. If I do that work-out four days a week and eat well, plus participating in a 12 week challenge - (no carbs and sugar diet) I'll be unstoppable when it comes to my weight goal - 70 kilos.
I jumped on the scales this morning - 97.8. Still a long way to go - but I won't give up.

I have learnt a couple more words in Korean. I can't spell them but I can pronounce them.
'Cheel-cha' - means 'Go to sleep' and 'Cheel-car' is an informal goodbye - my Korean tutor advised me not to sound too happy when I say this otherwise it might seem that I am happy for people to go - (which would make me sound like a rude twat!)
Note: 'Anyong' is also an acceptable way to say good bye to close friends or children; but is generally accepted by most Koreans.

What draws me to Korean culture is the manners, respect and moral ethics; children are cherished and elders are doted on. If I believed in reincarnation - I could swear I was a Korean in another life, the way that I say 'Anyong Hisao' sounds authentic and very cute!

I'd love to go to Seoul in South Korea one day - in Autumn or Winter - because those are my favourite months here.
About seven years ago, *Victoria and I went to Queenstown in New Zealand and while *Victoria was in a skiing lesson and I was cozied up writing by hand in the ski lounge (because I am a klutz) -
I looked up to see that it had started to snow. It was the first time that I had ever seen snow fall and I rushed to find *Victoria who had come to find me as well. We watched the snow fall in awe and wonder as it fell gently over Coronet Peak. I've decided that I want to go to all the countries on my travel list in Winter if it snows there.
Seoul being the first! Something I really want to see is Changdok-kung - a royal palace that has a secret garden. I read about it in a book called The Beauty of Korea. The photos are truly breath-taking so I want to see it for myself. This week I am buying a book and CD that translates English to Korean. I am just little bit cray-cray about most things Korean at the moment...so don't mind me!

Anyong!


- Sarah x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cafe Metz, Canungra

The Dreamer

Inspiration and Hope