Coffee, Dymocks & Rum

LIFE

There is nothing like the first sip of your morning coffee. Especially on an overcast day and you are thirteen storeys up with a view of Dymocks in Brisbane City.
 Dymocks is my favourite book-store in the world - to be honest, working in a book-store is my dream-job. I love the kids I work with, don't get me wrong - its just I like how a book-store is always quiet with the crisp fresh scent of unread books.
 Then again, would I miss the noise if I was somewhere quiet?
Would I miss the glitter and play-dough stuck on the bottom of my shoes and little hands pulling the hem of my work shirt?
Hell yeah. Call me crazy, but I would!

For the past three weekends, A. and I have been enjoying a taste of the corporate life-style. Spending two weekends in a row at The Capri and last night we stayed at Oaks Festival Towers. A. asked me last night.
"Can you imagine us living somewhere like this?" "Yes!" I answered before saying. "But theres nowhere for my art corner."
What more can I say? I'm creative. I need space. Lots of it. That being said, I could definately get used to this - in a bigger place.

LOVE

Since four months ago, when A. asked me to be his wife - and I did a Jane Bennett "Yes! A thousand times yes!" (Confession: I practiced that on and off since the beginning of this year).
Because: One, I am an Austenite.
Two, I had to get it just right.
If you've watched the Keira Knightley version of Pride & Prejudice you would know that when Mr. Bingley proposes to Jane, her answer is soft, elated and lady-like. I'm more of the "Hell yeah!" kinda girl so I had to rehearse - and when it came to my Jane Bennett moment, it turns out I didn't need the practice. Anyhow, moving off the proposal and onto the engagement.
I have had many people - family, friends and aquintances ask me why A. and I are getting married in January 2018 - what's the hold up?
The answer is it's easier to plan and finance a wedding when both parties are making a regular income. It's a brave new world, the brides parents no longer have to provide a dowry and a glory box - thank God, because I can't crochet to save my life!
 So there you have it, in black and white.

& THE EVERYDAY

After coming to the realisation that I am happy with it just being me and A. for now -it has been very liberating. I have been less stressed and eating in moderation and making choices centered around my life now. Last night A. and I went out to dinner at The Beach House and I drank a Jack Daniels Rum & Cola and a Bundaberg Lazy Bear, our table was the noisiest there - we banged our hands on the table to keep time with the two-man guitar duo band whom we constantly appluaded and wolf-whistled and we got up and danced in a room where every one else was sitting down.
Yeah, we were pretty damn tipsy but we were having a helluva good time.
If life has taught me anything, it is that those times when you feel young at heart are few and far between. If you are presented with an opportunity with great live music and good company - don't waste a single beat because that feeling lasts seconds, minutes - an hour or two tops.

As A. and I walked back to our hotel at about 8:30pm, fueled by Bundaberg rum, I looked around and realised how much I love my city. What started as a penal colony has grown into something beautiful, combining old and new, plain and colourful, historic and modern.
To think I once hated coming into town because of the imposing sky-scrapers and the homelessness. Perhaps I just didn't see it as I do now.
 Because I have spent time here these past few weeks, especially on Albert Street - I have come to really appreciate Brisbane - maybe I should go and buy a I♡BNE t-shirt...

And this is where I leave you for another week!

- Sarah x



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cafe Metz, Canungra

The Dreamer

Inspiration and Hope