New Thoughts For The New Year

LIFE

I had forgotten how difficult it is to give up something. For six days I had quit coffee and soft-drink cold-turkey. It wasn't until I was going out to dinner on the Saturday night last week that I found myself craving the sugary sweet poison of Coke. That thought shot the idea of quitting cold-turkey straight to hell. On the drive to dinner I was very quiet, the thought of drinking Coke making my mouth go dry. Suffice to say I had two soft drinks that night, one coke, one lemonade to make up for lost time - and the next day another lemonade. On Monday morning I had my first instant coffee in eight days and since then, I haven't stopped. 
Seeing as this season won't be coming for awhile, I'll tell you why I tried to go cold-turkey and it is simply that when I start treatment to have a baby, I want to have a healthy body to make the process easier. But I have come to realise that trying to make something happen just because you are impatient doesn't end well, so 2015 is going to be about getting my finances into order, travelling and just staying on track with health and fitness. So while I manage those things, I'll be able to drink all the coffee and soft drink and eat all the smoked salmon I want! Yay!
I have finally learnt my lesson when it comes to quitting a habit.
 Don't just quit cold-turkey. Thankyou world, I finally hear you!

After much pondering about the new direction for LIFE, LOVE & THE EVERYDAY, I have decided to keep it as it is. Although I will be beginning a new blog soon about....*DRUM-ROLL*
Travelling! Next year A. and I have decided we want to do more travelling, a couple of weeks overseas and what my friend Daphne calls "little squirrel trips" here and there, I found I really enjoyed writing about travelling in Fiji in this blog earlier this year; I like how I felt more bolder and although deliberately stirring Ally and Leez awake was as risky as I could get in Fiji; (as well as drinking out of a glass that a group of five of us were using. Ally told me much later that you don't actually put your lips on the cup, you just tip it back. Ugh!)
I find that I am craving more plane rides, more adventures as well as a heady dose of spontaneity.
Sitting from where I am right now, I would say that it is well-overdue and my first travel opportunity might be coming sooner than I originally thought. With the final seven days to Christmas about to be shred away and with the New Year looming, 2016 is off to a great start.

LOVE

For me this past year as been better than the last two, but for A. it's been monotonous and painful.
Lots of hours spent at the doctor's, quite a few at the therapists and a couple of unexpected trips to hospital and last week, A.'s work cover was up and he was let go.
I am constantly inspired by A.'s courage and although he gets a little down every now and then, he pushes on with optimism and bravado - determined to conquer set-backs.
Sometimes when I have a bad day, I'll cry on his shoulder (the good one) and he'll tell me it's okay and remind me that there's always a tomorrow just around the corner.
True love is like a reservoir, just when you think that you can't give more - you can.
A. has a new job in retail, it involves a lot of phone calls and door-to-door, selling things on behalf of charity organisations. Yesterday was his first day in training and he came home with two colourful stories to tell, one about a dude who is a likely candidate for the President of International Conspiracies which are full-on whack and a Bob Marley fan with a bong pipe.
Things that make you go Hmmmm...

& THE EVERYDAY

It hasn't been doom and gloom everyday this year, yesterday I watched my younger sister *Cassandra and my best friend of twenty years Amy, graduate. It was a hot day and we were taking photos of *Cassandra in her graduation gown and cap, before the first photo was even taken *Victoria adjusted *Cassandra's gown so it lay neatly across her shoulders, I love this about *Victoria, how she sees little things that otherwise may go unobserved until later.
We tried to take a photo of *Cassandra throwing her graduation cap into the air but after two failed attempts, we settled for more traditional photos - except the ones I took.
I am more of a candid photographer, I haven't harnessed what *Victoria calls "photo etiquette" yet and this is what she was lecturing me about as I snapped the photos. They're pretty funny, our family talks with our hands - which is what *Victoria was doing in my candid portraits, so I don't think those photos will ever come to light, unless her husband finds them first...

Tonight I am going carolling with my parents and church, so I am off to pour myself a glass of hot water and warm up my vocal chords with Adele's "Hello"!
This is the season of giving, and I am giving the residents of Logan my voice tonight!
(Poor them!)

For now this is where I leave you, if I don't write in the next week - Merry Christmas and have a happy 2015!

- Sarah x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cafe Metz, Canungra

The Dreamer

Inspiration and Hope