My Mother, My Partner and Conversations with a Wise-Man

LIFE: When I was a little girl I would try on my Mum's shoes and swipe her lipstick across my face in an attempt to be glamorous and grown up - I wanted to be just like her.
Instead I looked like a slasher victim in a horror novel but that's to be expected of a four year old experimenting with lipstick!
Today at the age of twenty-five, I realise that I need more than my feet in order to fill Mum's shoes. My Mum is a beautiful example of motherhood - she wanted to give us girls a loving home, she could be the nurturer and the discipliner. Whatever we threw at her, she would sometimes get frustrated and yell but she never ran out of grace for us and she always reminded us that we are loved.
Despite having her own battles to fight, Mum could still help us fight ours.
When I have kids, I know that I have a strong foundation for motherhood.
I love you, Mum. 


LOVE: I am really proud of A. He is not just a pretty face and an incredible human-being.
He is also really brave. I won't go into depth about his struggle but I want to publically applaud his perseverance and quiet inner strength. Despite what has come against him since being hit by the car, he hasn't let that traumatic experience bring him to his knees but has kept moving forward with dignity and gusto! Well done, babe!


& Everyday: It has been six days since I started the Twelve-Week Challenge through Good Life, A.and I have signed up together. Not only are we eating healthy but I can feel a shift in our relationship which is definitely for the better! Our first boot-camp was on Monday 16th at night and we both did the best our physical conditions would allow. The Beep Test was insane!
Let's just say that I ended up in the 'Easy' group. My current fitness level wouldn't allow any higher but if I do all the things that I signed on the dotted line for that should change in the next 3-4 weeks.


Aside from getting used to a healthier life-style, I have been job hunting and although I have been to two interviews, things have been a little low on that score. I know my stuff but I'm not exactly the most confident speaker and that's probably what is taking me out of the running.
Definitely something to improve on!
 I'm staying optimistic though sometimes I feel a little down. But I know I'm lucky that I even have one casual job which is more than what some people have.
But at least now when I am not working or going to job-interviews, I have something to get out of bed for. For the past three days I have been going to church. In the mornings I have been to a Youth and Children's Ministry workshop so I can implement new tools at work and in Sunday school and in the afternoons I head up to the reception and help out the Administration staff with odds and ends to lighten their work load. After seeing my willingness and capability, one of the staff are training me up to be in Administration.
So that will definitely keep me busy and learning new skills! I have noticed that I haven't felt the heavy weight of failure so keenly the past couple of days and that is good.
Okay, I know I sound really hard on myself. I am my worst critic and that's probably showing through at job interviews. I know that I'm not a failure, but I just wish I could do more to contribute financially to the life I am building with A.


 Other than that little set back, things are going pretty good.
At church this week I met an elderly man who taught me about true happiness and contentment, he is in his seventies and has a spring in his step and cheeky twinkle in his crystal blue eyes.
You wouldn't know it by first impression when he is covered in white dust with paint splattered clothes but it turns out he is reasonably wealthy and could live the rest of his days in comfort and looking after the horses he trains. He came from humble beginnings as a farmer's son and to this very day, he is still wakes up when it is dark and works vigorously. Whenever I was passing by his construction area at church I call out to him and we chat for awhile.
He reminds of Eli, a character from a book by Max Lucado called You Are Speical.
He is a great listener and is really wise too.
Here are a couple of things he taught me about happiness, success and contentment.
1. Happiness. It's people that make us happy. Not money.
2. Success - Early to rise and early to bed - makes one wise, wealthy and fed. (Not his own words but that is what I gathered from him telling me about being hard-working and humble).
3. Contentment - Being happy with what you have. He said that even if he had only half of what he had earned in his life, he would be content with that.
He is truly one of the most insightful, amazing people I have ever met and will never forget as long as I live. He can make you smile when you feel like crap and that is a rare, beautiful gift.


So that's me for now.
My thoughts, prayers and love are with people in Queensland today who are affected by Cyclone Lan and Cyclone Marcia.


Love,
Sarah xx

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cafe Metz, Canungra

The Dreamer

Inspiration and Hope