Welcome to the Dirty 30's!

For the past two months I have been somewhat nostalgic for the 90's - 90's fashion and 90's music. It seems like the rest of the world is missing the 90's because scrunchies are making a come-back! There is also a shop at Garden City near the skate-board shop that stocks pre-loved 90's clothes. I absolutely love that place - but be prepared to pay $40 for a novelty tee! What did I love about the 90's? I loved Britney Spears in Oops I Did It Again - I wanted that red cat-suit! My favourite song of the 90's was Pure Shores by All Saints. My favourite television show was Dawson Creek - partly because I had a huge crush on Pacey (Joshua Jackson) PS: I still do! But the other half of the attraction lay in the fact that I had to sneak into the living room at 8:30pm to watch it because Mum didn't want me watching it at such a young age but she allowed us to have the CD. I used to sing "Life's a bitch and then you diiiiie." as loudly as I could, then there was The Corrs 'Runaway' and I remember thinking there was nothing more romantic. To celebrate the nostalgia of such a wonderful era, I threw a 90's themed birthday party at the Mount Gravatt Hotel. It was a quiet affair but that did not stop people from dancing, hit after hit and singing as well or off-key as they wanted. Playing hostess, I hopped from group to group talking with people about life, star-signs and the show-stopper Beauty & The Beast themed birthday cake - chocolate with vanilla fondue icing that had my taste-buds screaming for more. Although my party was centred around the 90's, I have also been reflecting on the past ten years. I thought about who I was when I first entered into my 20's, young and optimistic and fortunately, I enter into my 30's with the same mind-set. Except I have lived a little bit now, in the light and the shadows that life brings. Reflecting on the memories and the lessons I have learnt in the past ten years has definitely prepared me for this big mile-stone. People keep asking me, "So what's it like being 30?" It's like being twenty again, except with more wisdom and better fashion sense. I feel refreshed and excited to see what the next ten years hold for me and Alan, the callings that we will share and the ones where we will support each other but allow the other to do independently. I feel blessed that life has been kind to me in the form of my family and friendships and my life-long goal is to become a super-centurion. I'll live past 100 like those seniors from a book I read called Ikigai, a book about Japanese super-centurions and their secrets to live a long and meaningful life. There is a song from a popular musical called FAME! and one lyric has always struck me. I'm gonna live for ever/ Light up the sky like a flame/ Fame! I'm gonna live for ever, baby remember my name! That's the way I feel about turning 30. - Sarah x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dreamer

New Beginnings

Soul Explorer Part 2 - A Little Time on the Green