The Truth: Part III - Squash & Settle

Many years ago at the tender age of thirteen, I went on my first date and saw Big Fat Liar starring Frankie Muniz. I had such a big crush on him back in the day!
Big Fat Liar is about this kid who tells tall-tales and writes a story called Big Fat Liar for summer school home-work and somehow the story ends up in the hands of a big-time producer with the grin of a shark who steals the story and turns it into a script for a movie and Frankie Muniz's character has to prove that he was the real writer.
One of the lines I got from that movie is 'The truth is overrated.'
At the time I thought there was nothing scarier than having your Mum and kid-sister sitting three rows back to chaperone. Sixteen years is a lot of time to contemplate on things that scare me more.

There are lots of things that scare me. Real and imagined.
But what scares me more these days is the truth.

Sometimes what we believe is the truth, isn't the truth.
The truth isn't overrated. It's quite straight-forward and simple but we squash it and settle for something else because the right way isn't always the easiest and you can't compromise and bargain with the truth.

Lately I had have to accept a couple of truths from different areas of my life.
I tried to explain, justify and reason why these truths could not possibly be true - surely it was my fault - or I was over-thinking things, or maybe I was just crazy.

It was the actually the truth that was driving me crazy because I wanted to squash and settle, I ran from the truth so it chased me. No matter how far or fast I ran, or how many times I had thrown the truth and left it panting in my dust. A month ago, the truth caught up with me. It ran at me head-on and tackled me to the ground, holding me there until I admitted these truths out loud to myself.
These truths that I kept a secret from everyone and pretended I didn't know myself.
'What are you going to do now? You can't un-know this.' My inner-voice said in gentle wisdom.
 I honestly didn't know and frankly I was too scared to do anything about it.
But now that I have faced the truth and said it out loud, it doesn't scare me any more and it's not overrated.
 It just is.

- Sarah x



 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cafe Metz, Canungra

The Dreamer

New Beginnings