The Quiet Life

Kasey Chambers is my favourite Australian singer.
The first song I ever heard was "Am I Not Pretty Enough?" and that song really resonated with me throughout my teen years because I battled with body-image and self-consciousness.
In my early twenties I changed my tune to "Rattlin' Bones" because for me that song was about paying my dues and facing my past.
The Captain - feeling unworthy in the eyes of someone else, a song played off and on these past few years.
We're All Gonna Die Someday is my all-time karaoke favourite and I cried the first time I heard Summer-Pillow.



But my song of the year is The Quiet Life, Kasey Chambers wrote it with her ex-husband Shane Nicholson. It's a song about two people finding happiness in the wide open space of the country-side and contentment in the everyday with each other. It has beautiful lyrics and a soothing, sweet harmony. When I first listened to the song a few months ago, I found myself craving a more simple life that is less cluttered, demanding and stressful; especially leading up to my wedding which is now eleven weeks away. This year has been filled with exciting events beginning with our engagement at the beginning of the year in January, travelling to Singapore and Malayasia in June and then coming back to pack up our lives from Fawlty Towers to a two-storey house and save for our wedding.

These four big things required me and A. to be really careful with how we spend money and make the necessary sacrifices to make ends meet and be able to accomplish those things.
But I have been really grateful for the quiet, because I can see things more clearly than I used to.
Who I am as a person and the people in my life.

In this quiet life I write books and create - I watch TED motivation/inspiration talks on YOUTUBE and organise wedding plans. Over the past month I have started to extend my knowledge and skill on hand-sewing, an on-and-off hobby since high school.

I have completed a sexy, midnight blue off-the-shoulder dress made of velveteen material with silver four-point stars and a sea-green hem.
*Victoria called it my Harry Potter dress, I simply call it Star-Dust.
At the moment I am sewing a new skirt from a forest green dress that I couldn't bear to throw away while cleaning out my closet a few weeks ago. It's going to look absolutely gorgeous!
One day I'd like to show off this talent but right now its just for me. 

Another reason why I have embraced this Quiet Life philosophy is because I used to chase noise, people and acceptance. I wanted to get to a space where I would know and trust my own voice.
It's a journey that I probably won't see the end of for a little while yet but lately I have been having a lot of revelations. Mum once told me that once you have the break-downs, you have the break-throughs and that's where I've been at for the past couple of months, it's like sifting sand - you gotta shake out the debris so it doesn't clog the flow.

What the Quiet Life has taught me is.

1: To look deep within my heart and acknowledge the truths there
2: What really matters
3: Cherish the moment
4: Breathe
5: Simplicity
6: Contentment
7: To nourish my body and soul with the right foods and people
8: Unleash my creativity





That's me for now, folks.
Thanks for reading!
- Sarah


 .


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cafe Metz, Canungra

The Dreamer

New Beginnings