Retreating from Treats

LIFE

Remember the good ol' days when your parents or a responsible adult decided when you would get treat?
Treats were anticipated, rare and wonderful fleeting seconds of pure joy followed by the bittersweet longing for more.
You probably had those angry outbursts when you didn't get more, shouting at the top of your lungs.
 "When I grow up I'm going to spend all my money on chocolate!"
That kid was me!
Now treats are just apart of my daily agenda, except they have gotten bigger - my treat of choice is, and always will be chocolate!
Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy my chocolate - but the problem is, I eat it when I'm happy, when I'm sad, when I get a craving (the latter is everyday) or when I just feel like rewarding myself (which is also a very regular occurrence). $3.50 may not look like much when it is sitting in your bank account, but when you realize you have spent $20.00 on chocolate in a fortnight; that's when you have to say.
"I think may have a serious dependency issue with chocolate!"
My Personal Trainer has been pointing this out for awhile. Sometimes I feel very sorry for him, he can write out all the exercise and diet plans, give me loads of encouragement and yet, it is up to me to implement everything he has discussed with me.
Aside from chocolate, I have been indulging in other decadently wicked baked delights which is fast un-ravelling the hard work I did whilst on 12 Week Challenge. I have not been exercising as much, so it's time to pull off the kid-gloves and hit the gym again - harder, even in the cold of winter.
So my action plan is to swap all of my soft drink, hot chocolate and coffees for herbal tea and water! Yay! {insert sarcasm smiley here}
More vegetable based foods! More leafy greens! {clap, clap, clap!} 
And to top of it off, I won't be buying treats for myself for four weeks! I'll be relying on the generosity and compassion of others to buy little treats for me - without the aid of non-subtle hints! {Boohoo! :( }
Wish me luck, comrades!

LOVE

To celebrate my older sister *Victoria's job promotion, the six of us went out to dinner at Hog's Breath.
There is one love that I always cherish - and that is the bonds between me and my family.
We raised a toast to *Victoria for all her hard work and dedication.
*Victoria looks like Grace Kelly and with her law degree, she is a modern day Joan of Arc with an inbuilt b.s detector. To sum her up; she's one of the most amazing, inspiring people I know because she is protective of those she loves and comforting in times of strife.
We all caught up on each other's news, *Victoria even brought up how as a kid, I was always playing with My Little Ponies under the desk in my room; to this day my Mum tells people about how I used to grab the tissue boxes in the house and pull out all the tissues so they could be houses for my little ponies.
My little sister *Cassandra complained about how she would want to play with me and my toys, if she so much as touched a pony I would yell out to Mum ."Muuuuum! My story is ruinnnned!"
"Oh yes I remember that! If you touched one of those ponies there would be no story!" *Victoria says with a teasing twinkle in her eye.
I patted Cassandra on her arm and said. "There, there. I was an introverted child. It wasn't your fault!"
Stories like this from my childhood used to make me want to run for cover - but now I can laugh about them with everyone else and it feels good.
Not everybody has the family that I've got, a network of love, support and warmth.
So that's what I'm grateful for - that I know this kind of family exists.

& THE EVERYDAY

Speaking of family. A.'s Dad has been visiting Brisbane this week before moving onto Melbourne, it has been heaps of fun spending time with him. On Saturday night, A.'s Dad made an amazing, home-cooked spaghetti bolonaise which almost melted my taste-buds off my tongue!
This past week has been a mix of great food and markets. I have also fallen in love with Manly, an irresistable blend of community,  ocean views, sea-breeze scented wind and more than its share of coffee-shops.
A. and I are torn between moving to Manly or the city when we finally put down roots somewhere - I am a staunch supporter for Manly!
This week I am starting the overwhelming chore of cleaning our cosy little unit. For real!
Honestly, I just can't wait to get around to the re-decorating part!

I have to go to work now. But I'll keep you all updated on my 'treat retreat'!

- Sarah x










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dreamer

New Beginnings

Inspiration and Hope