The Magic Within You

When people think of magic, they think about crystals, cauldrons and a Hogwarts acceptance letter.
Yet there is another magic. The magic that is within us. 
We all possess different kinds of magic that are known as virtues and talents. 
We may admire someone who is courageous and adventurous who travels the world and narrates documentaries. There are strong, resilient people who take care of others mental, emotional and physical health.
There are people that use their voice to fight for justice on behalf of someone else. 

You are probably wondering what qualifies me to talk about you and your magic? 
I have done many a year of soul-searching. When I realised that I learnt differently than most people, I was angry. It was not until fairly recently that I learnt that everyone, including myself - has super-powers that has nothing to do with what you have, what you are born with, what limits you think you have when it comes to learning and understanding. Everyone was born with gifts that help bring magic into this crazy, beautiful world.

Most of the time people think that creativity in the arts is magical.
The painters, the sculptors, the writers, the singers and song-writers.
Then again, it takes a creative thinking to trouble-shoot problems and solutions.
One of my most favorite scenes in Harry Potter is when Hagrid tells Harry he's a wizard.
Harry grew up in a place and mind-set that he considered fairly ordinary - he thought that he was just this outcast that the other kids bullied or avoided. And when Hagrid gives Harry the news that his existence is a pretty big deal to a world-wide community - Harry cannot believe it, yet alone that he was born with abilities that he had no knowledge of, yet understood.

When I was on the cusp of graduating high school - I felt a little bit like Harry Potter, ordinary save for the diagnostic quirk of having an intellectual disability. Back then I didn't think that was a powerful thing at all. Besides becoming a writer or actress I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. It was like this red carpet was rolled out for me but I didn't know why I was being invited to walk down it. I didn't know what my ''magic'' was or how I would find it.
I did not know what I wanted to do with my life but I knew that I wanted to work with people of different ages and diversity. Maybe that's how I ended up in childcare, but when I think about it I have always enjoyed learning alongside children. Every day I learn things I didn't know before and being able to see it through a child's fresh perspective can be absolutely magical!

 I had no idea what I was good at other than what I knew and at that time it felt like I didn't know a lot. That's how I felt at seventeen.
I didn't know then what I know now. If I did know back then may be I would have made different choices and life would have veered in another direction. But today I embrace the life that I have known and the experiences that have shaped me into who I am today.

Which brings me to say this. You may not feel, at this moment, that you are anything special - you may not think you know a lot. This is a lie that we tell ourselves when we are afraid to embrace who we really are. Our presence, our existence - is no accident.
Our souls were called to this earth for a stretch of time to serve a purpose.
Every day that we are fulfilling our purpose we are giving apart of our souls to the world that we have been called to live in. That's life coming full circle. That is the kind of magic that you don't need a magic wand for. Bippity-Boppity-Boo!

For those of you who are still trying to find your 'magic' - don't stress, babe. You were born with it.
 How can you find something that you already have?
I want you to reflect on a time that you felt powerful in your own self.

It may have been a moment that you stood up to a bully. (That's daring and courage.)
It may have been a moment that you solved what seemed like a complicated problem in a simple way with integrity. (That's brains, baby!)
It may have been the moment when you began to see something that you had seen in your mind's eye come alive beneath your hands. (You're an artist, sweetheart.)
It may have been that you pushed yourself to go that little bit further than before on your daily run.
(You are strong in mind, body and soul.)
It may have been when you were able to give comfort to a loved one or a crying child.
 (You're a healer.)
It may have been that moment when you totally nailed your favourite song at Friday night karaoke!
(Babe, you're an absolute bloody legend!)

My dears, there are all kinds of magic in this world. What ever 'magic' you have, use it well and with love. And don't be afraid of what is in you, fearing that other people will disapprove or not understand. It is not their place to judge you. That duty belongs to the Man Upstairs alone.
Because this is your magic. This is your life. Use your magic to bring miracles to your life and others, and live happy.

- Sarah x






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cafe Metz, Canungra

The Dreamer

Inspiration and Hope