The Prayer Procrastionator

It is just as well God doesn't have favourites, because there is one little thing that I am not exactly proud of as a Christian and that is I haven't called God up on the Heavenly Hotline very much lately; not even to say 'G'day God, thanks for the pretty fog this morning. It made me feel like Cathy on the moor.'
 It's not that I am ungrateful for what He has done on my behalf, nearly a week and a half ago he gave me a miracle that I had been waiting anxiously for. I felt bad because even though I expressed my profound gratitude, I didn't exactly bring out the pom-poms and do a Tom Cruise victory dance on the couch.
Ever have those times when you cannot remember the last time you prayed?
Reflecting on my own circumstance earlier tonight, as a professional Prayer Procrastinator I have come up with five things that can put a dampener on prayer and thought I'd share with you.
Here is my own personal list of Prayer Procrastinators (all tried and true).

1. A guilty conscience.
2. Anger at God or thinking He is mad at you.
3. Chasing after the wrong things.
4. Melancholy.
5. Saying a prayer like you're writing an essay

Guilt
Let's talk about guilt. I'm not talking about that cheeky cocktail or that chocolate bar that somehow 'miraculously' turned up in your lunch-bag. Got a bad case of motor-mouth? Can't break a bad habit?
Got a secret? Not the cute kind where you are crushing on someone in seventh grade but something that makes your stomach church just thinking about it? Well, here is something for you.
Psalm 44:21 - ...would God not have discovered it since he knows the secrets of the heart?
So go ahead and 'fess up, God already knows the details - the bottom line is he's more worried that he hasn't heard from you.

Anger
We have a Heavenly Father. And just like our natural, biological parents - there are times when we are going to have issues with God. For example, those unanswered prayers that we are still waiting on. The "If you are God why is this happening?" rhetorical question.
 The "What if...?" theories that are driving you crazy.
 You feel frustrated, burdened and broken and somehow it's God's fault - because if he really existed you wouldn't feel any of this. 
Job 10:8-9 - Your hands made me and shaped me. Will you now turn and destroy me? Remember that you moulded me like clay. Will you now turn me to dust again?

Chasing After the Wrong Things/People
Sadly, this is something I know too well. I can say in all earnestness that when I do something in my heart that I know is wrong, that I will feel disconnected from God.
Psalm 51:1-2 - Have mercy on me, O God. According to your unfailing love.
According to your unfailing compassion, blot out all my transgressions.
Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.

Melancholy
Although God has healed me from depression, there are times when I think too much and before I know it...BOOM I am living my worst nightmare in my waking moments!
When I am down the Rabbit Hole it's all about me and my tale of woe - me-me-me- na-na-na!
It has been my experience that if I get too caught up in myself, I run away from God instead of towards him when I have a 'meh!' moment.
Psalms 13
How long 0 Lord? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and everyday have sorrow in my heart?
How long will my enemy triumph over me?
Look on me and answer, O Lord my God.
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death, my enemy will say: 'I have overcome him'
and my foes will rejoice when I fall.
But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation, I will sing to the Lord, for he has been good to me.

Saying A Prayer Like You're Writing An Essay
Ever had that moment when you are so deep in prayer with a group of people...it's awesome, it's fantastic...and just when you think the prayer is off to a great finish somebody starts rambling on and on and on? You don't want to be rude but all the same, in your impatience you wish you had some duct-tape handy!
Then there are people who can pray really well and you think:
"That is so awesome! If only I could pray like that!" You try but because you are so intent on making every word perfect, the words coming out of your mouth don't sound like you; you mentally edit what you say before the fact and therefore you feel like an imposter.
God wants the raw truth, he wants your side of the story; in your own words.
 Matthew 6:7-8
"When you pray, don't ramble like heathens who think they'll be heard if they talk a lot.
Don't be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask him."

 I hope that this helps those of you who are feeling a little off-track when it comes to your own prayer and worship.
With that, I will leave with you this one little verse that I felt drawn to tonight.
Psalm 44:21 - Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.

Sincerely, Sarah
(Your Friendly Neighbourhood Prayer Procrastinator)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cafe Metz, Canungra

The Dreamer

Inspiration and Hope